Thursday, July 12, 2012

Our Kidspace Day

Bug and I had an adventure the other day.  We were supposed to go bowling with a few school friends, but decided to ditch (sorry, guys!) and go to Kidspace in Pasadena.  Kidspace is a 4 year old boys dream.  Huge structures to climb on, a real size car to "drive" in (Bug got a huge kick out of the car this time as I recently started driving.), a bike path with traffic signs, a river to play in and tons more.   It's one of those places where you have to just let your kid explore.  I was excited to take him as it was the first time since I got my drivers license that I could give Bug the power to choose where we would go.  The possibilities were endless because I had the car.  We weren't locked into one activity (that's the downside to taking public transportation everywhere.)  It was also the first time we had been there since our last trip in April with friends.  I dub that day my "worst day of parenting ever" Hands down.  There was biting, throwing of stuffed animals, items bought to silence my screaming child.  All in front of a friend whose parenting I respect immensely, which made it even more awesome.  I remember that day.  Bug remembers that day.  It lives in infamy. 

Riding the bike in 90 degree weather.  I think he's ready for Spinning! 

Playing with clay. Nevermind that gross burn on my hand. I forgot that ovens are hot. 


SO, understandably, I've waited a few months to return to this land of fun in Pasadena.  I must say, it was worth the wait.  While Bug isn't old enough to understand why I didn't have my drivers license or that it was even an issue for so long, I like to think that he appreciated that his mom could take him here for a day of fun.  And, we had an AWESOME time.  I let him call the shots and go to whatever part of the property he wanted to for almost 4 hours.  He rode a bike in 93 degrees for an hour (There is usually a line for the bikes, and the kids don't get to ride that long, but today was so hot, I think a lot of them were inside enjoying the air conditioner).  He played with the water symphony for a while.  He played in the ant hole for 483290 hours.  He played with clay, paint, and water.  He looked at bugs.  He smiled and laughed and at one point said "I'm having a great time, mom!"  I mean, I died. A totally happy day with my boy.  He left elated and I left smiling, yet a little nervous for my drive home.  I am totally used to public transportation and can handle the extra time and energy it takes, but driving is still so new to me, that I am always a little nervous when I get in the car.  Alas, we made it home successfully and with minimal traffic.  

So, no, I did not take public transportation to Kidspace, BUT, if you choose to do it, here's an idea of a trip from the Valley! It's about 2 hours long and while it's a tad long, it does include the subway and light rail, which kids REALLY enjoy. The subway and light rail also make it easier on the adult.  We're huge fans of the Gold Line! 


Ventura / Hazeltine Stop ID: 7023
Bus 150/240
Bus towards 240 Universal City Sta
8:41am - 9:02am (21 mins, 22 stops)
Universal City Station Stop ID: 30002
Walk
Walk to Universal City Station
About 2 mins (16 mins to make transfer)
Universal City Station Stop ID: 80202
SubwayMetro Red Line (802)
Subway towards Union Station
9:18am - 9:43am (25 mins, 12 stops)
Union Station Stop ID: 80214
Walk
Walk to Union Station
About 1 min (6 mins to make transfer)
Union Station Stop ID: 80409
Light railMetro Gold Line (804)
Light rail towards Sierra Madre Villa Station
9:49am - 10:08am (19 mins, 8 stops)
Del Mar Station Stop ID: 80417
Walk
Walk to Raymond Ave & Del Mar Station
About 1 min (10 mins to make transfer)
Raymond Ave & Del Mar Station
Bus 51
Bus towards To Linda Vista / Art Center
10:18am - 10:42am (24 mins, 14 stops)
Seco St & Arroyo Blvd
Walk
Walk to Kidspace Children's Museum, 480 North Arroyo Boulevard, Pasadena, CA 91103
About 2 mins (0.1 mi)
Kidspace Children's Museum
480 North Arroyo Boulevard, Pasadena, CA 91103

1 comment:

  1. I love this blog!!! Finally, how to get there without a car!!!...and real life stories!!

    ReplyDelete