Monday, July 9, 2012

Bug goes to a prenatal appointment..

Today was a new experience for Bug.  I took him to one of my prenatal appointments with me for the first time.  More on what the experience was like in a moment, but first, some thoughts. 

I'm 15 weeks pregnant.  So, why did I wait this long to take him?  Well, I should probably tell you that we didn't even tell him he was getting a sibling until I was in my second trimester. Some people thought we were crazy to wait that long to fill him in, that we should let him be apart of the pregnancy early on.  I say, to each his own.  My first trimester was filled with puking, dry heaving, and laying down a lot.. the usual! I guess you could say that I didn't want him to attribute that to his new brother or sister.   Also, I wanted to just get past the first trimester jitters in general.  So, we kept it to ourselves, family and friends until I was in my 13th week.  When we told him, it took a couple of days to process it.  And, for another couple of days, he kept asking if Vigo from the Ghostbusters was going to come and take the baby.  For those of you who haven't watched Ghostbusters 2 seventy times in the last couple of months, Vigo is the villain in that movie and kidnaps Oscar the baby.  Naturally, Bug's four year old mind went to that scary place.  It took a few times of explaining that Vigo wasn't real, but he got it soon after.  Of course, he does still check every day "Mommy, is the baby in your tummy?"  "Yes, Bug!". 

...All of which brings me to taking him to a prenatal appointment!  This was something I was truly stumped on.  Now that he knows, do I bring him?  Do I get a babysitter?  Does my mom need to come and watch him in the office?  Am I going to scar him for life either way?  All of these questions came to me as I lay awake on Saturday night preparing myself for Monday's appointment.  So, who do I turn to to find out?  Why, the great, all knowing Facebook moms of course! I would say about 70% of my Facebook friends fit this category. I also texted a good friend some more personal questions about it, but more on that.. never.  Anyway, back to those awesome Facebook moms.  The consensus was "Yes! Take him. Involve him.  He will love it!"  I started to feel good about it, but then a little bad that I was questioning it in the first place.  Mom guilt.  The best.  Of course the appointment went great.  Bug thinks I'm super talented at peeing in a cup and my doctor was able to pick up the babies heartbeat and some kicks on the doppler, which Bug thought was "cool".  He had a HUGE smile on his face and my heart swelled.  This kid is going to be the best big brother.  We won't tell his baby brother that about 5 minutes after he heard the heartbeat and kicks, he broke out into a fever and turned stark white.  No, that little tidbit we'll keep between us for now. 

www.someecards.com



2 comments:

  1. Ghostbusters 2 was a major part of my childhood, so I can appreciate Bobby's concern!

    ReplyDelete